Saturday, July 06, 2013

Bike Break Down To Venice Pier

I moved along the various tasks I'm pursuing hoping to make things easier for my mom, I moved into her room to listen to the Redistricting Board meeting, blogged it, and then got out the bike for a ride down to Venice Beach.

It was Friday after July 4, the weather was comfortable - partly sunny, in the high 60s I'd guess - and there were lots of folks on the Venice Boardwalk.  I'm cheating a little here, this first picture I took the other day - it's at Venice Beach at the end of Rose Street.  These are the beaches I grew up at, but now I realize how big the sandy area is.  You can just barely see a strip of blue water between the sand and the clouds


There's the 'boardwalk' - not sure why it's called that because it's asphalt, not boards, and then  there's a grassy area, a bike path, and finally the sand.  And the sand from the beach is slowly taking over the bike path.    Here are some Venice police with their rides on the grassy part.



LAPD's website explains the Mounted Unit:

"The full-time Mounted Platoon was established in 1987 as a component of the elite Metropolitan Division and is currently composed of 35 full-time sworn police personnel consisting of 1 Lieutenant, 4 Sergeants and 30 Police Officers. City funds were allocated for the purchase of 40 horses to be used by the officers during the performance of their field duties. Also purchased through funds donated by the Ahmanson Foundation were a fleet of 8 trucks and trailers to transport the officers and their mounts to the various details, and a state-of-the-art police equestrian center appropriately named "The Ahmanson Equestrian Facility."

Their basic duties are:
  • demonstrations
  • crowd management
  • crime suppression





A little further up I stopped at the Skate plaza to watch folks do crazy things, mostly without helmets.  

Made me think about the Redistricting Board. 














Since my cell reception isn't too good at my mom's, I made a few calls from here and a little further down at the pier.


Surfers, from the Venice Pier


Looking south from the pier, here's a family enjoying the sun.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.