Thursday, May 02, 2013

"Warren [Buffet] is in the house"

30 minutes ago Warren Buffet (@WarrenBuffet) posted his first Tweet.  He already has 30,000 followers - 1000 per minute.

How do I know this?  Because I follow Neal Mann (@fieldproducer) and he just posted about it. 

Let's see, I (@whisper2world) sent my first tweet 2 weeks ago and I have 14 followers.

Does this make me a better person?  In any way?  I'm still trying to figure it out.  It does mean that I'm aware of a lot more that I don't know about and so I have a lot more opportunity costs.  

A potential upside relates to the conference I'm going to at the end of May.  I proposed a discussion on a particular topic and the conference committee has suggested that we do a lot of this via twitter.  I'll see how that goes.

But I'm concerned that a lot of Twitter is about saying things faster.  But I'm not sure we need to know them faster, and in many cases, know them at all.  Was Warren Buffet merely experimenting by saying his physical location or was this a metaphoric way of saying he was on Twitter?  I don't think it matters either way.  And, to the extent that people spend time looking at Twitriva, they will spend less time gaining in-depth understanding of important issues. 

This juror is still out.

[UPDATE May 3, 2013 12:48am - Warren Buffet's second tweet links to a CNN piece he wrote on why he's bullish on women.  He also now has 1/4 of a million followers. His new members per minute rate is slowing down.]

2 comments:

  1. This must be confirmation that the end is near. Lemmings on Twitter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The various forms of social media have upsides and downsides.

    One downside shared by all forms of social media is that with so many people being now that much more distracted by various social media forms, the people pulling off hoaxes and running scams are really happy to see everyone being so distracted that they aren't paying adequate attention to their immediate surroundings or for that matter, their immediate reality.

    A thoroughly distracted population is much more easily controlled and manipulated.

    A distracted population is that much more apathetic.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.