Sunday, June 26, 2011

Alaska Pridefest Photos and Music

By the time we got to the parkstrip, the Alaska PrideFest Festival was almost over, but there were still folks around and the music was great.   Blogging about this raises a couple of challenges for me.

First, I don't want to ignore the unfortunate accident at the beginning of the parade, but I figure that will suck up most of the media attention on this day, which many people saw as a special celebration coming on the heels of New York's decision to allow gay marriage.  My condolences go to the family and friends of James Crump. 

Second, is the question of how to handle photographs.  In November 2008 while covering an Anchorage demonstration in favor of gay marriage, I'd gone up the stairs in the parking garage across the street to get some pictures.  There was a man in the stairwell who told me he was there with his partner, but was a school teacher and didn't want to be seen at a gay protest.  So he was watching from across the street. 

Are there people who are at the festival who wouldn't want their pictures on a blog?  I've discussed at length the ethics of posting pictures of children, but what about adults who are still fearful of discrimination?  The conventional journalist response, I think that would be this is a public event.  And a lot of people at the event are openly gay and a lot of others aren't GLBT anyway.  Nevertheless, I've blurred the most obvious faces except for those who gave me permission (no one I asked said no) or were people clearly involved in the festival.  (For the dog close-up, I asked its leash holder.) This also affected how I took pictures - much more timidly than normal. 





Ms. Gay Alaska - Amber Do All Lá Chores Sawyer - explained to me the difference between Ms. and Miss Gay Alaska.  Ms is the category for lesbians and Miss for drag queens.  










I'd encountered Miss Gay Alaska - Micah Sauvageau "Vanity Affair" - at performances of  Midnight Soapscum where, as Mama Rose Mary, she narrated the show and kept the audience in line. 

Mister and Mr. Gay Alaska had left already, so no pictures. 

I've added a video - mostly with still shots - because a huge part of being there was the music.  Pictures by themselves don't capture the mood of the event. The music by Pandamonica was great and my Power Canonshot gives you a sense of it, but doesn't do it justice. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos and the video. Wow- great voice! Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was still there sorry I didnt get to get a picture for you. hug! Mr. Gay Alaska jerad Mertens

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://web.me.com/g35.steven/MrGayAlaska2011/Welcome.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sponsors for Emerging Music/Art Festival (Downtown LA)
    ------------------------------------------------------

    Want to introduce your product to over 2000 of the hippest, trendiest, folks in LA next Saturday? Become an event sponsor on one of LA's coolest emerging music festivals. Stick close to home and rediscover the art and music scene thriving and brimming with talent that's poised to break so soon. Text 9176215942 for info on the festival and sponsorship packages. Lots of big secrets that we just can't share too publicly these days, but we promise--like last year, this will be wild and you'll want to be apart of this.

    *Location: Downtown LA

    *it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.