Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunrise Fires - Winter Ice

J's workshop met today as well, but an hour later.  Yesterday it was clear at 8am when I dropped her off and today there were fog/clouds still hanging in.  One of the peaks is just barely visible above the fog (it's above the 'm' in 'am' in the Saturday picture and below that 'm' in the Sunday picture.)

I decided to go a little further and check out Campbell Airstrip. As I drove east, the sky got pink.  Once I turned up Campbell Airstrip Road, I could stop and shoot.










There is good reason to get up for sunrise, and in the winter, when it's after 9am, it's not that hard to do.  Below I'm walking on the bridge over Campbell Creek which was already frozen over.  But there was water running under the ice.  (See the video below.)





I really hadn't dressed to go out for a walk in the 10˚F (-12˚C) chill of east Anchorage, but I did go up the trail for ten minutes and took some pictures.  These ice crystals are on a small tree branch.  And before I got to the bridge I went down to the creek to watch and listen to the water flowing under the ice. 



1 comment:

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.