Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reichstag and Other Berlin Shots

Today was a great day at the Hamburger Banhof Museum and wandering around with M and J.  But those pics aren't coming off the sd card right now.  So here the ones I didn't get to put up Tuesday. 
 This is the Berliner Dom.  An old Cathedral on the Museum Island.


This is a memorial for the legislators who voted against Hitler and were killed for it.  Each stone has the name, party, and camp where they were killed. 

This is the Reichstag - the seat of the German Government.


The sky there was worth a shot.




The Dome at the Reichstag allows you to walk around the perimeter to get better and better views of Berlin.

Here's the skyline to the west as the sun sets.

We have an early flight to London tomorrow, so that's it for now. 



1 comment:

  1. Steve, your post is correct as far as I am concerned but you should not mix the name of the building with the 2 chambers of their parliament ( Bundestag, Bundesrat). It is a common mistake. Unfortunately I don't know the name of such institutions in Austria, because we only studied the German administration. I know I mentioned the Austrian lower and upper house when I guided my class in Vienna but I can't remember everything I said. :P

    By the way Reichstag used to be the assembly of the Holy Roman Empire (a kind of predecessor of United Germany between (962- 1806)) and of Course the reichstag was burnt before Hitler rise to power.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.