Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Reconoitering

I've been here a month and it's time to take stock of what I'm doing and how.  So far, I've been getting the lay of the land, figuring out where things were, who was who, how things worked.  What have I learned?

1.  There's a lot going on.  The legislature is supposed to do a lot of things.  Article 2 of the Alaska Constitution which is titled Legislature, is pretty technical and talks about 'how' more than 'what' the legislature is supposed to do or 'why.'  For example:
Section 2.14 - Passage of Bills.

The legislature shall establish the procedure for enactment of bills into law. No bill may become law unless it has passed three readings in each house on three separate days, except that any bill may be advanced from second to third reading on the same day by concurrence of three-fourths of the house considering it. No bill may become law without an affirmative vote of a majority of the membership of each house. The yeas and nays on final passage shall be entered in the journal.
You have to get to the parts of the Constitution that deal with specific areas to be governed, such as:




Section 7.1 - Public Education. (This version of the Constitution isn't Article by Article, so you have to scroll down the page a bit.)

The legislature shall by general law establish and maintain a system of public schools open to all children of the State, and may provide for other public educational institutions. Schools and institutions so established shall be free from sectarian control. No money shall be paid from public funds for the direct benefit of any religious or other private educational institution.
And 

Section 8.2 - General Authority.

The legislature shall provide for the utilization, development, and conservation of all natural resources belonging to the State, including land and waters, for the maximum benefit of its people.
In any case, the legislature has power over the budget of all of the state government and there's plenty to keep the 60 legislators and their staff more than busy.

2.  Things go at a pretty frenetic pace.  There is no peace and quiet and I suspect few people ever spend more than ten minutes without some sort of interruption.  Staff print out calendars each day for the legislators that have the various committee meetings they're supposed to attend plus whatever meetings and receptions they have.  But walking the halls and sticking heads into offices is a constant activity leading to three minute trips becoming an hour of interactions with a lot of different people. 

3.  Things and people aren't always what they seem.  As I start to form opinions about people and bills, I have to work hard not close off my assessments too early.  People I respect sometimes point out aspects about people that are contrary to opinions I've already formed, and people can surprise me.  One legislator  did  when I saw him coming down the Capitol steps wearing jeans and polo shirt.  It was a side of him I'd never seen and I had to start rewriting my mental assessment of him.

4.  The State has done a lot to make the legislature accessible.  The online meeting schedules that legislative staffers consult are available to anyone with internet.  Committee meetings are available online and in some cases on television and at legislative information offices around the state.  People could have a lot of information about what's happening if they wanted to and took the time to acquaint themselves with the legislative website.


Up to now, I've just been bouncing around and everywhere I go there is something to write about.  But there's no long term objective, except the vague - show people what it is like down here.  Maybe that's fine.  Maybe there's a better way. I'd characterize my posts, so far as:

A.  This is what Juneau and the legislature are like.
B.  This how you can access what is happening via the internet if you aren't in Juneau.
C.  Here's what happened in this committee meeting.
D.  Here are some of the folks down here lobbying.

I've already decided I need a team, a big team.  But I can only afford myself.  This also raises questions about how the media cover the legislature.  Ideally there would be a team on each of four or five key issue areas such as natural resources, education, health, revenues, etc.  

So how should I spend my time?  Should I focus on a few bills and follow them through the process?  One topic area?  Should I try to dig up dirt? That's not exactly my style. But I could take on some longer term projects and dig a little deeper.   Maybe I'll feel more confident to do something like that when I feel more sure of my knowledge of the place.  But 90 days isn't long to really know.  It is long enough to think you know.    Highlighting things that are being done well is also important.   Should I focus on a few legislators and what they do?  Or should I focus on people behind the scenes - legislative staff, the full time staff of Legislative Affairs Agency, the lobbyists?  Or should I just take things as they come?

My style up to know has been basically light with some heavier, more substantive pieces.  Overall, I've consciously been the opposite of sensational.  Where I've had information that I thought was of interest, I've made the reader work to find it.  I don't know if that's a good approach.  But I've also tried to make some things more accessible with pictures and videos. 

So, I'm at a point of reassessment.  

If anyone has any thoughts, I'm in a receptive mood.  It is clear that whatever I do it will be a tiny, tiny nibble at what is happening simply because so very much is happening. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey, was sitting in the House Democrats press availability this morning looking at Beth Kerttula, and remembering when her dad was a senator. I remember going in to his office, and Beth, her sister, and her mom would all be working in the office. I'm pretty sure they were all volunteers, because I can't imagine they were on the payroll. So there have been volunteers in the legislature for decades. Not sure why your volunteer service was an issue.

    Anyway, enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve - great post! You don't mess around with the "what the heck do we do here and how do we get it done" culture shock of jumping into the middle of the Legislature in action. I live in Juneau, and it all mystifies me!

    My mother worked at the Capitol, and I used to be there all the time, and it all mystified me!

    It's fun to follow your journey through this maze of information, process, politics, vision, action, and relationships. I live in Juneau and it's refreshing to see things from your perspective. Enjoy, don't go crazy, and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying your posts from Juneau. Your method of setting your eye and mind to viewing session from multiple vantage points is dizzying some days but always informative.I think you have added a much needed dimension to news about session. Thank you.

    There is a program which provides young people from around the state a chance to see state government in operation. There's a group here in town currently.
    http://www.serrc.org/all-alaska-academy/alaska-close-and-junior-alaska-close
    I'm a sucker for the excitement and interest the kids bring to their exploration of state government and always hope they go home having a clearer understanding of the hows and wherefores and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments and encouragement to you all.
    Alaskapi - I'm smiling, because I got one of the serrch students on tape yesterday. I just had so much stuff yesterday, that she's not up yet. And I just got up after posting late into the night.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.