Monday, January 11, 2010

A Month of Vegetarian Meals

I'm not the cook these days.  There have been times in our marriage where I did a lot more cooking, but I just don't have the interest in doing all the planning and shopping etc. and J seems to be much more into it and creative and talented these days. 

But trying to be vegetarian does mean constantly looking for different things that are tasty.  So one day I googled something like "one month vegetarian meals" and got to Eat Close to Home., which had a link to a pdf with "Vegetarian Meals for a Month."

Emily Springfield's 12 pages, which I stapled into a booklet, have a

  1. Recipe for one main dish for five nights a week for a month (two adults, plus 2 kids)

  2. Weekly shopping list and pantry list
The beauty of this is that you can simply check the pantry list (make sure you have onions, soy sauce, salt, etc.) and then take the shopping list without having to take the time to go through all the recipes to make your own list. 

As excited as I was, before I posted, I wanted to make sure that a) J would go along with this and b) the meals were any good.

Well, I'm here to report, Joan thought it looked great and we had a lot of new (to us) dishes that were fairly easy to make and almost all the meals were winners.  We are two adults though, and I suspect some nights the mythical two kids might have been a bit hungry.  The intro says
  • Each week has one or two "dead easy" meals that require little prep and are ready in under 30 minutes (unless you cook brown rice;  then you'll be done in 45 minutes) [it's suggested the brown rice be all cooked at once at the beginning of the week]
  • Each week has two "average" meals that will take 45 minutes - 1 hour for all prep and cooking
  • Each week has one or more "involved" meal that might be best done on a weekend
So, go to Eat Close to Home and you can find the recipes at the pdf link.  Rather than put the links to the pdf here, I think you should stop by the original blog to get them.  The link at the top goes to the post with the month of meals she dated March 29, 2008 (the month we ate.)  This link here at the bottom goes to the post that links to a month of meals dated Sept. 12, 2008 (I'm just printing this one out.)

Bon Appetit! 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I hope I will have a conservative marriage. It means I earn the money therefore I am not really intervening to chores unless they are manish (fabricating etc...). However it is quite impossible to maintain a family with one earner in Hungary due to the low wages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya, Steve! Thanks for the links to my recipes. I'm glad you like them. You're probably right about the hungry kids...I don't have kids, and I don't measure everything, so it was kind of a stab in the dark on portions. When I make stuff at home, we get three adult servings and don't two little kids eat the same as one adult??

    In any case, glad you like them. Anything I can do to make it easier for people to eat real food makes me happy!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.