Thursday, January 07, 2010

Interesting People and Events at UAA

I had a meeting at UAA Wednesday and the walk over in the new snow was wonderful.




These palm bending tree trunks looked a lot more 
mysterious in a night picture not long ago.




And Nikki Giovanni will be speaking on campus January 21, 2009.  We'll be in Juneau by then so I'll miss this, but you've got a warning now to put this on your calendar.  And if you don't know who she is, go to the library and check out one of her books and start reading before she gets here.

Here's a sample (taken from ncat.edu)

Balances  

in life
one is always
balancing
like we juggle our mothers
against our fathers
or one teacher
against another
(only to balance our grade average)
3 grains of salt
to one ounce truth
our sweet black essence
or the funky honkies down the street
and lately I've begun wondering
if you re trying to tell me something
we used to talk all night
and do things alone together
and i've begun
(as a reaction to a feeling)
to balance
the pleasure of loneliness
against the pain
of loving you 







I also visited with Fannie, with whom I worked in the past.  She had a great picture up on the wall.  





Her niece, Nicole, from Napakiak, was Miss Indian World 2008-2009.




Fannie also had a picture of her nephew as her screen saver.  He's in Iraq and due back in April.   




While I was in the College of Business and Public Policy I had a chance to meet the Interim Associate Dean, Dr. Claudia Clark.  We chatted a bit and then it got interesting when I learned she was also a filmmaker.  An award winning filmmaker.  She won an award for best production last year for twelve 1 minute shorts on the International Polar Year Educational Outreach and is up for another award this year for her historical biography of Alaska's Bob Bartlett.  It's called Mr. Alaska: Bob Bartlett goes to Washington.  In the video she talks a bit about it.  












 




And at the film website, I couldn't help but steal this picture of Bob Bartlett.  Regular readers will surely know why I like it. 










I also learned that Freakonomics author Stephen Dubner will be in Anchorage at the end of January to talk at the Anchorage Economic Development Council (AEDC) and that he'll spend a day with UAA students. 

1 comment:

  1. Steve, an additional thought on yesterday's topic. This comment was posted on the ADN comments section and it helps me understand how we can see these rights differently.

    AAR wrote on 01/07/2010 07:15:13 PM:
    "I find this to be a fascinating topic. As Lt. Gov. Campbell indicated, he never thought he would be on the same side as the ACLU on a topic. I find myself being amazed that I am on the same side as some of the posters here regarding this topic. We all care deeply about personal freedom, the difference seems to be at what cost. Some of us will sacrifice it out of perception of fear and safety. Some will sacrifice out of a perception of fairness. Still others out of moral or religious beliefs...".

    Well said, AAR, and thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.