Thursday, December 24, 2009

Share





This sign I saw on Latouche today seemed appropriate for Christmas Eve.  I also got a letter from Wat Alaska Yanna Vararam - a Thai/Lao Buddhist Temple in town.  It looks ahead to the new year
. . .heartedly blessing you and your family be free from all kinds of suffering, physical and mental suffering.  May you all be free from animosity.  May you all be free from the external disturbance and internal disturbance.  May the peace and pure happiness arise in your mind and leading your mind to the right way, the right way of being, right conduct in action, right conduct in thought and right conduct in speech.
So, I get good vibes this Christmas Eve from the bicycle folks (I assume that's from them) and from the Buddhists.  But as I was almost home after dropping someone off at the airport - Mt. Susitna bathed in setting sunlight was also sending blessings - I was jarred by Senator Mitch Mcconnel's belligerence on the radio news just before the vote on health care reform.   Here's a link ("this fight isn't over"):
I guarantee you, the people who vote for this bill are going to get an earful when they finally get home for the first time since Thanksgiving.  They know there is widespread opposition to this monstrosity.  And I want to assure you Mr. President.  This fight isn’t over.  In fact, this fight is long from over.  My colleagues and I will work to stop this bill from becoming law.  That’s the clear will of the American people and we will continue to fight on their behalf.
Senator, when does American good sportsmanship kick in? You lost this vote 60% to 39%. That's a landslide in most elections. (And that missing vote was from your Kentucky Republican colleague Sen. Bunning.) It's not a perfect bill I agree. But much of that is due to unrelenting refusal to cooperate in any way by Republicans.

Senator, on this Christmas Eve, I guess the best  I can do is pass on the Buddhist blessings to you:
May you all be free from animosity.  May you all be free from the external disturbance and internal disturbance.  May the peace and pure happiness arise in your mind and leading your mind to the right way, the right way of being, right conduct in action, right conduct in thought and right conduct in speech.

[While looking up McConnel's words I did find some interesting trivia.  McConnel was born in 1942.  His first wife, Sherrill Redmon, is now the Director of the Women's History Archives at Smith College which was founded in 1942. His current wife, Elaine Chao, was born in Taiwan, and is the former director of the Peace Corps and former Secretary of Labor. He has three daughters from his first marriage.]

1 comment:

  1. Part of the phenom of the right in America is reactive constituency building. The health reform effort became the latest in a string of issues that lay out this ugly political creed: MINE.

    I just had to post (against my new character, but not my past nature) something on the online ADN story comments this morning. At this time of year, Gene and I are reminded that faith can be seen as one's 'get out of death free' card or one's actions, thoughts and meanings we make together in this life.

    I can spare sharing of what I have. How is it so many have grown to believe they cannot? Civilization itself is defined by our ability to think and act together while upholding our rights. Is it not possible that health care--besides low taxes-- is one of these rights?

    As I read the thought of the Enlightenment, the philosophers who helped frame the American political experiment in government, I am stuck by how very little thought is present in these reactive thrusts of an angered public. But thinking is a hard sell, isn't it?

    I continue my studies. Happy holidays, everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.