Wednesday, October 07, 2009

New Venice Skateboard Plaza



I did my run down to the new skateboard plaza on Venice Beach today. Wow! Everyone was having a great time. I think about back in the late 50's and early 60's when we made skateboards by nailing a roller skate to a two-by-four. Our street had a good hill and a lot of people skated down it. The next street over was too steep for most people, though I did do it a few times. I'm sure if I were that age now, I'd have taken my skateboard with me.



The plaza opened Saturday and so people are just getting the knack of it. The site is spectacular, with the ocean in the background. If I remember right, it's pretty close to where muscle beach used to be.




It was fascinating to watch these kids - well they ranged from maybe 8 or 10 to one guy probably in his 40s skating with his daughter - zoom all around. You can get a sense of it in the video.



We biked back this afternoon and it was a lot more crowded. I'll post another video of that when I get it done.

[There's a later post with more video here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.