Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Hills Are Alive . . .

Seeing the Chugach Mountains from town is one of the perks of living here in Anchorage. The changing light and seasons mean that the familiar always has a different look and while waiting at a traffic light you can look up into the wilderness and now it's close by.
This was Tuesday on the way to a meeting, waiting at the Glenn Highway and Bragaw. (Yes, sometimes I drive if the places I'm going are too far apart to get to on a bike, or if I have to carry something that doesn't fit in my backpack. Or the weather or roads are dicey...)


This was after lunch today at the Thai Kitchen.
The golds and reds are starting to show.

Dennis Zaki took his video camera up to Powerline Pass (about 20 minute drive from downtown Anchorage) the other night and got these great shots of bull moose hanging around, waiting for the mating season to officially open.


The Magnificent Moose from Dennis Zaki on Vimeo.



After I watched the video, I emailed him to say I thought the video was great, but that the music was kind of cheesy.

"As many times as I've been up there," I wrote, "I've never heard any music."

He wrote back:

"Yes it was weird, the music just started playing as soon as I got there!"

So, yes, Rogers and Hammerstein were right.


2 comments:

  1. I just made my own little tribute to Mary. I set the post to appear at 7:06 AM Friday. Please come by and read it.

    http://wasillaalaskaby300.squarespace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mountains. It looks a bit like when you put many pyramids next to each other.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.