Friday, June 13, 2008

Is there any hope for the Anchorage Daily News?

[I didn't hit the post button when I finished this last night. Is this even worth writing about? Well, yes, I think McCoy's (see NAMES at the bottom if they get confusing) comments are significant, but I'm not really sure what the significance is. My instant gut reaction when she said them was "oh geez, the ADN is doomed." My logical side says, "You need to have a totally tech savvy person doing this, not some nice, smart, tech 'immigrant' [in her words]" But something kept me from hitting the post button. She's so nice, she's so enthusiastic, and she has gotten a bunch of blogs up onto the ADN website. Is her personality and their obligation to have a position for her after her fellowship year blinding them from doing what they really need to do? Or maybe they can't find (translation: won't pay what it takes to get) a real tech guru with journalism smarts too.

I've posted on this topic and Kathleen before when she made a brief announcement at a previous AAUG meeting about starting to post community blogs and inviting bloggers to sign up. This was then followed up by an in-depth analysis of the contract the ADN wanted bloggers to sign - a contract I felt was totally out of touch with the reality of the blogosphere. I did try to say hello Wednesday night, but there were lots of other people around her. I did want to know how the contract issue got resolved though.

And I think there is one more big reason I'm hesitant to click on the post button. I think Kathleen's candor is fantastic. I applaud her honesty about herself and about her newspaper and the industry. But I can just see her being called into the office, "YOU SAID WHAT? IN PUBLIC? ARE YOU CRAZY?" I don't really want to be responsible for that. The media often are beat up by politicians for what they report. Their response is we are only reporting the news, don't attack the messenger. To the ADN and McClatchy big shots, remember those words. Kathleen McCoy isn't the problem, she's just the messenger.

OK, now that I've said this and you have no idea what I'm talking about yet, I feel a little more comfortable hitting the post button]

I went to the Alaska Apple User Group (AAUG) last night[Wednesday]. There were two longish presentations. The first was by Kathleen McCoy and her husband Peter Porco on her fellowship year for journalists at Stanford. It was depressing. [I like reading my hard copy newspaper in the morning and I want the ADN to find a way to survive in both the print and web worlds.] I wasn't going to post about it.

But then I got home and got Brendan's [see NAMES at bottom]email with the links to this week's Anchorage Press and a story about Howard Weaver on the future of newspapers. Weaver was the editor of the ADN and has moved up the McClatchy corporate ladder and is now Vice President for News and he's upbeat about his papers doing just fine on the web. The Weaver piece the Press covers takes on the doomsday arguments made against newspapers and offers his reasons for believing the McClatchy newspapers will adjust and thrive. I like people who take on the prevailing opinion, but he's hardly an objective observer and what I heard from Kathleen certainly contradicts the image he was painting of McClatchy doing this right.

So why was the first presentation depressing? In a nutshell, because Kathleen McCoy is billed as the person at the ADN in charge of community blogging [I stopped writing at this point and looked at the ADN website newsroom contacts page to get her exact title, but I couldn't find Kathleen McCoy on it at all. Nor could I find her on the contacts page which listed the eight men and one woman (Jane Lee) on the "Senior Management Team."]

In any case, Kathleen McCoy's talk was interesting, but depressing. She and her husband were both very enthusiastic about having the year off at Stanford and enjoying the chance to do whatever she wanted - sit in, or take, or not, any class at Stanford. And she got a week of tech training for journalists at UC Berkeley. Here are things that she said that really struck me:
A Talking about the newspaper field, she said:
So you have print journalists who are saying, "what do you mean I have to take a video camera" or "this blogging stuff ..." and then you have other people who are jumping in whole hog, and just training themselves. The truth is we're getting no training in the field. I was lucky to get this Berkeley thing that gave me some training.
B
When I was at Stanford I saw all these kids making movies and blogging and having Wikis and doing all kinds of stuff and I realized no one was training them either. They were just doing it. I do believe that it is in their DNA and I do believe that they are the digital natives and I'm the digital immigrant.
C
I came back to the Daily News and I was put on the Web, with no training about the Web and I'd learn one little thing I could do on the web, eventually I learned that if you could get into the back door of the web, our website, you can just see all the things and how they are built and I could learn how to build them myself so eventually I've become more useful...
McCoy sounds like a bright person who genuinely wants to make all this work. She has jumped in and gotten the community blogging page full of blogs on different topics. She has some tech training and brings to that the values and ethics of MSM journalism. Maybe she knows just enough and can keep the techies straight on those parts of traditional journalism that are important to keep.

And the ADN has an impressive web presence. Matt Browner Hamlin,, the national blogger brought to Alaska to be the Begich campaign’s Online Communications Director, told me he thought it was one of the best newspaper websites - particularly because it has good web presence in all areas, not just one or two.

But if the web is the future - or at least a major part of the future - of the newspaper industry, why would you put someone with no web experience on the web? If her DNA comment (I'm assuming she's talking metaphorically here) is accurate, why not get a tech native to work on this job? After years of paying some of the lowest professional salaries of all industries, is it that the newspapers just can't mentally cross the salary bridge to pay what good techies get paid?

Why are staff getting no web training? (Did Kathleen exaggerate here or overlook some training opportunities the paper offers?)

I could be wrong on this. Kathleen's total candor is refreshing. Her ego is barely visible. And she brings to this web endeavor (there are other web people at the newspaper) traditional journalistic values and ethics, that perhaps you can't find in the tech natives. But if I owned an airplane, I'd hire a natural pilot who feels totally comfortable flying, not someone who's going to learn on the job.

Do McCoy's comments from the trenches belie Weaver's optimistic view from headquarters?

I hope he's right that the ADN will adapt and succeed in the new digital age. I hope I'm wrong.


Oh yeah, the second big presentation of the evening was by Scott Slone and Kevin Kastner of HDTV Alaska. They make and post Alaska adventure videos. They're the tech natives making up this new world as they go. They too are struggling with the issue of how to earn a profit online.


NAMES
I'm not happy with how I'm using names here and on other posts. Some people I feel like I'm on a first name basis with, others not. And so sometimes I use a first name in one place and a last name in another. But I know that is confusing to the reader, but I haven't resolved how I want to do this. In here:
Kathleen McCoy - ADN community blogging person and speaker at AAUG meeting
Brendan Joel Kelley - writer and editor at Anchorage Press
Howard Weaver - former ADN editor and now McClatchy VP for News
MSM - main stream media

1 comment:

  1. A "names" legend is useful. It took awhile for me to realize that MSM in blogs about news is not the same as MSM in blogs about health (men having sex with men)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.