Thursday, May 01, 2008

Taipei (Taoyuan) Streets and Tzu Chi Foundation

The China Air hotel is in a suburb of Taipei called Taoyuan. I went out walking this morning. I don't have much time so I'll just post the pictures.

But I stumbled into the Tzu Chi Foundation, which is a Buddhist Charity that does some things like the red cross. They had a global warming exhibit and they found a volunteer named Alex who spoke English and spent a couple of hours showing me around.

Later, on the bus, I met a woman named Jo who's been living in Bali for the last ten years. Interesting stories, but you're lucky, I don't have time.












Bookstore at Tzu Chi Foundation.
Global warming puppet show. My being from Alaska had extra meaning for them.
Alex, my guide, with the bamboo bank. The master said every volunteer should put in 5 cents every day. I asked about other sources of funding. Alex's reply - our money is in everyone's pockets.
We had tea. The whole place was as elegant as this tray of tea.

And then vegetarian lunch.
There's even a proper way to hold the bowl.

Here's the Bali resident on her way to visit the US.

And a fancy porcelain vase on exhibit in the airport.

2 comments:

  1. Great job blogging over there Steve. I've learned so much from your posts. My favorite picture was the fish with the blue/green colors. But you knew I'd say that. DZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see art everywhere. (I think that I most loved the frog in the toilet bowl!)

    Share the stories-- we are less fortunate in what you don't share!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.