Friday, May 02, 2008

Savoring Anchorage on Foot

The customs people smile in Anchorage. I was out on the street at 10. No taxis at the international terminal. The number 7 bus won't be by for 45 minutes. As I walk to the domestic terminal, I'm thinking about walking home. We did it in Chiang Mai and here it's delightfully cool, almost chilly 45°F (7°C). I know lots of people in Anchorage would say, "You can't walk home from the airport." Well, I like doing things you can't do. And I've been revved up not having a car in Chiang Mai and all watching how some people in Taiwan are passionate about reducing global warming and their concern for Alaska's ice and polar bears. Let's do it. But is there a way to walk out of the airport?

There is. Just stay on the sidewalk closest to the terminal and keep walking. You have to go right at the first small street and then left. Then you get back to the main road out of the airport and this sign.

After crossing the road, there's even a sign which tells you which way to walk to Anchorage, so I kept going.



While some water is out, Lake Hood (the white in the background) is still frozen. Made a pit stop at the Millennium Hotel then kept going.


Oh. Gas is a little more expensive than when we left. Stopped for pancakes at Gwennie's. I'm really in Alaska. (That picture is even too bad for me to post it.) Just outside of Gwennie's I saw a 36 bus coming. The little wheels on my suitcase are saying they've had enough and this bus goes within a block of my house. The driver stopped between bus stops to let me on. And now I'm home. Headed for the post office to pick up the mail.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome home Steve. You better get out here quick, like tomorrow, if you want to see any cranes. Email me for my number. DZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like it was worth walking halfway just for those pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gas is getting so expensive in Fairbanks too! Ugh! Come visit me at http://alaskanshelpinganimals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.