Saturday, May 17, 2008

Mangoes

Mr. Sukeaw, a leader in one of the villages (you can see him the day I met him) my organization in Thailand worked with, complained that I was leaving before they were picking the mangoes. So I recently got these two photos. (The woman is Bon, one of my co-workers who helped a lot to explain things to me.) He gets something like 9 Baht per kilo of mangoes - about 30 cents for maybe six mangoes.
And I just bought this plastic package of mangoes at Costco for $6.49 here in Anchorage. I suspect these are Mexican mangoes, but hypothetically, who all got the other $6.19? Why does the farmer, who does most of the work and takes most of the risk, get only 4% of the final sale price?

2 comments:

  1. You need to take this question higher, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Does not seem fair that he does most of the work and gets the least amount of money.
    Steve I really enjoyed your bike trip to work. Would love love love to see any pics or videos from your trip. I am contemplating going to Thailand in the near future. thanks again. aloha lelinda

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.