Saturday, April 19, 2008

Scarlet Backed Flowerpecker


I've had some video on this little, almost hummingbird like bird, that frequents our tree and has a little red splash. But couldn't figure out what it was. Friday I thought I'd figured it out. I got a great view of a little bird that made the same hummingbird like sounds and it matched the scarlet backed flowerpecker in the book perfectly. Can't see it? It's in the lower left. And this picture was already enlarged. It's a tiny bird that rarely stops moving.

The photographer me is battling the birder me about whether to even post this picture. But you can find incredible bird pictures all over the web. This one helps show how difficult those great pictures are. And you can tell that this is a scarlet backed flowerpecker (if you have other pictures and descriptions to compare it with.) But the descriptions I can find are not very detailed.


So, is the bird in the video also a scarlet backed flowerpecker? There doesn't seem to be red on the head and back, just the rump.Watch quickly, then again in slow motion.


I think it's the same bird, but I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.