Thursday, April 24, 2008

Land Reform Meeting Chiang Mai


When I was leaving the land reform meeting this afternoon, Pet said, "I told you the meetings were a waste of your time." The meeting was tedious, but not a waste. I don't quite know what was all going on. But being there at all, gave me lots of leads for questions to ask, though there isn't much time left. Farmers were there from the three different villages I've been to, so presumably from all the others as well.

The Thai word for information was said over and over and over again. But essentially, my understanding was like the Thai translation in the previous post. I knew a lot of the words, but not quite how they connected. Today was the time for the farmers to talk about their issue and the various organizations supporting the farmers also contributed.


The man on the left is the villager whose house I stayed at when I first went out to a village. The man on the left was the main village speaker at the land reform confrontation in Lamphun.



Anyone recognize this speaker? He was the man at the Fire Break Ceremony who taught us how to say hello in Karen.


The meeting was in the Best Western Hotel, so in a sense, I felt like I wasn't quite in Thai territory any more, though it was still Thai, especially the flower arrangments and the food. We were on the top floor and so I got some views of places I've been in, but never seen from above. And it was pretty clear so the mountains were very visible too.


I left a little before 5pm. It wasn't a waste of time. I have a list of questions, plus I got to connect with people I'd met before. DeLak and Kaew got to see the photos and videos I took in their villages. And some Alaska pictures. But Pet was right - the meetings could be much livlier and have a lot more participation. (Though there was a lot of opportunities to speak, there were also talking heads.) My foot was better than it had been during the night and at the airport, but I thought it was time (since there are only two days left) to get a foot massage at Wat Umong, which I pass everytday. On the way back from the hotel (only about a quarter of a mile past our office, I ran into these cows, something that has never happened before. The massage, I was told, was the best in Chiang Mai. So maybe the could fix my foot.
I told her in detail about my foot. She immediately attacked my foot and I was in great pain. This was either going to cure me or leave me permantly limping.

The right foot also hurt as did various other places on my body. When it was over she asked how it was and I could walk much easier. But a few hours later is was probably a mistake. My foot is now noticeably swollen, though I'm walking slowly, but better than before.

I'm discovering how important my feet are. And sleep too, I'll add the links in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.