Wednesday, April 23, 2008

J's Gone, two more work days

Some of the office folks took us to dinner last night, then Pet and Ew picked us up at 4:45am to get J to the airport in time for her 7am flight. [Mook, sorry I forgot to call yesterday morning , things got really rushed.] It was the first flight listed on the board and they didn't open the checkin until 5:45am. I really felt bad people had gotten up so early and then we had to wait. Meanwhile, I did something to my left foot and it was hard to walk on. But I don't think it's too serious. Nothing swollen, nothing red, nothing hot. Just hurts on the bottom when I walk. Ice this morning when I got back helped.

Some people at the office today are going to Presentation training. And there is another meeting on land reform at the Best Western Hotel near the office. I'm going to that one. Bon and I did more translation yesterday afternoon. It's really hard. The translator basically looked up words in a dictionary and put them together. Bon had to explain the Thai to me and I had to ask lots of questions before we agreed on what it should say. We ended up deciding to try to capture the meaning more than the way it was said. There's no way I could have come anywhere close without Bon. Still don't know how close it is. There are about 20 pages. I'm not going to finish this task. But I reassured them that the person they got to translate something else had done a very good job and they should go with that person to finish this.

Original Thai:
3.2) พระราชบัญญัติป่าชุมชน ที่ผ่านความเห็นชอบจากสภานิติบัญญัติแห่งชาติ ซึ่งมีเนื้อหาที่ไม่เอื้อต่อการจัดการและการใช้ประโยชน์จากป่าของชุมชน อีกทั้งยังลิดรอนสิทธิเสรีภาพของชุมชนท้องถิ่น ที่ได้รับการคุ้มครองจากรัฐธรรมนูญในการเข้าไปดูแลรักษาและใช้ประโยชน์จากทรัพยากร ตามบทบัญญัติมาตรา 66 ของรัฐธรรมนูญแห่งราชอาณาจักรไทย พ.ศ.2550 ปัจจุบันอยู่ในระหว่างการพิจารณาของศาลรัฐธรรมนูญว่าจะขัดต่อรัฐธรรมนูญหรือไม่

Translator's version:
3.2) The Community Forest Royal Act is approved from the Legislative Assembly. The content is not contributed for management and advantage from the community forest But it is deprived right liberty of local community. The constitution has protected in take care and take advantage from the resources follow by sector 66 of the provision under the Kingdom of Thailand Constitution 2007. Now is during the commitment of constitution court that is against the constitution or not. [This is one of the better sections. You can see why I couldn't just proof the translation.]

Our version:
3.2) The Community Forest Royal Act was approved by the Legislative Assembly. This law, concerning the management of forest land, is detrimental to the rights of farmers living in the forest. This appears to be in conflict with section 66 of the 2007 Constitution. The courts are deciding this question now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.